Create a 'choose your own adventure' style event
Important: this article refers to events in Vidyard under the previous legacy experience.
If you have not upgraded to the new Events Library, speak with your Customer Success Manager for further information. If you are looking for information about events under the new experience, see our updated documentation.
'Choose your own adventure' events transform viewers into active participants in your video content by allowing them to select the content they want to view based on their interest or use-case.
For example, at the end of a video, viewers could have a choice to watch content targeted for sales or marketing. Or, they could select a video based on the product they'd like to learn more about. You can even use these to allow users to send viewers to an entirely new playlist!
There are 5 steps to making a 'choose your own adventure'.
- Make your player: Create a player with the videos you want as 'adventure options'
- Create video links on your first video's event: A post roll event that will allow viewers to choose which video to watch next
- Set the behavior for the rest of your videos: Select what your viewers will see after each video to control the rest of your viewer's journey.
- Disable the playlist menu: Ensure viewers will navigate through the player using the 'choose your own adventure' event, instead of the playlist menu.
- Publish your player: Test your player, then send it out!
Step 1: Make your player
To make a 'choose your own adventure' style event you need to create a player with multiple videos in it.
- The first video will host the 'choose your own adventure' event. This is a great place for introductory content that directs viewers to the options they can select.
- All other videos will be one of the 'choose your own adventure' options. They will be viewed out of sequence, so you can put them in any order.
Step 2: Create video links on your first video's event
- In the Events tab for your player click + Add Event.
- Click Fullscreen, then + Add Event.
- The event will appear on your timeline. Click and drag the blue handle to the Post-roll timeline spot.
- Click Event Builder in the event editor.
- In the left menu of the Event Builder, click Go to Video.
- Create a Go to Video link:
- Text: Type the text for this Go to Video link.
- Video: Select the video you want to link to from the Video dropdown.
- Enable thumbnail: Toggle ON to show the video thumbnail. Toggle OFF for a text-only link.
- Width: Use the Width controls to set the size for the video thumbnail if you have enabled a thumbnail.
- Click Done. This will add this video link to your event.
- Repeat steps 5-7 until you have all the videos you want to link to.
- Add in any other elements you need. Use the up/down arrows and trash icon to rearrange or remove elements from your event.
- When your event is ready, click Generate on the Event Builder.
- Save and Publish this Event.
- At this point, your player will have a 'choose-your-own adventure' event at the end of its first video. However, you still need to decide the behavior of the player for the rest of the videos. After your viewer watches the video they've selected from your first event - what happens?
Step 3: Set behavior for the rest of the videos in your player
In order to completely control the viewing experience of your viewers, you must set an event for the end of each video that your viewers may choose to watch. What will happen at the end of the video your viewer opted to watch? Will they be directed to a form? A landing page? Will the player loop back and start again? Or will the player just end? Choose which option is best for you, then begin the steps below.
Option 1: End all videos with the same final event
This will cause the player to play the Final Event at the end of each video. This allows you to redirect to a certain URL, loop playback after the video, or show the splash screen or final frame after video (unless a video has a post-roll event).
- Click Settings.
- Toggle Perform final event when any video has finished to ON.
- Use the Final Event dropdown to set the Final Event that will play after each video.
- Show Splash Screen will end playback and show the player splash screen after each video ends.
- Redirect to URL will redirect the viewer to a URL that you specify.
- Loop playback will replay the player from the beginning.
- Show Final Frame will end playback and show the Final Event.
- Click Save.
Option 2: Add a different post-roll call to action at the end of each video
This lets you set a unique call to action for each selected video. For example, each video could show off a different product, and after each video you can capture their information with a post-roll form, but use a hidden field with a pre-populated value to submit their product interest with the form.
- Remember, each video you set a post-roll event for will be the last video viewed in this player. Think about what steps you want the viewer to take next after watching each individual video.
- Click each video on your player and set a post-roll fullscreen or lead capture event that will direct the viewer after each video has been viewed.
Option 3: Load external content in this player's frame
You can redirect your viewers to external content without taking them away from the player or your website. You can do this by adding a hyperlink with a "_self" target attribute which will cause the link to open in the player iframe.
You can link to any content using the sample code below, but this specific example demonstrates how to add a link to a different player and cause it to load in the same player frame, meaning the viewer will not be taken away from your landing page.
<UUID> is the unique identifier for a Vidyard player. Learn how to locate a player'sUUID.
<a href="//play.vidyard.com/<UUID>.html?v=3.1&autoplay=1" target="_self">Click here to learn about our product!</a><br />
Step 4: Change player settings
- Go to your player's Settings tab (General Settings).
- Toggle Hide Playlist to ON to disable the playlist menu on the player. This way your viewers must use the player how you've set it up.
- Toggle Show "Up Next" to OFF.
Step 5: Publish your player
Once your 'choose your own adventure' style event has been created, and the videos in your player have a final event or post-roll event, ensure that each event has been saved and published.
Finally, use your sharing page to test the experience and ensure each 'adventure path' acts as you intended.