In this example, we will discover how to send an email when a lead has watched 25% of a video but has not reached any further milestones such as 50%, 75% & 100%.
In a scenario like this, it's impossible to create a smart list of retrospective data that matches this particular criterion. Even if someone watches more than 25% of a video, their activity list will still contain data about a 25% video view.
Marketo filters do not take into consideration that other milestone data may also be in the lead's Activity Log. Therefore, even if you use a filter with an AND clause of 'is 25%' and 'is not 50%', the 25% milestone record still fits that criteria and the record is returned in the smart list.
Using Campaign triggers, we can be more creative with the way we are setting criteria to match.
1. Create a list for the people who need an email. This can be done via the Database menu.
2. Set up a trigger to place the user on a list if they reach 25% of a particular video:
To do this, create a new Smart list with the first trigger to be similar to the below.
3. Set the flow to Add contacts to the list that was created. In this case, I called it 25% of 9SecSample
4. Create another smart list that will take your contacts out of the list if they reach 50%
5. This Flow step will ensure that they have been added to the list before removing. We use a short Wait duration to ensure that Marketo has processed the lead into the List.
6. The final Smart list is to trigger the email. The Added to List trigger is something you can use to automate sending the emails, while the Member of List filter is set to ensure that they are still part of the list when the email is sent.
7. The flow for this Campaign is built to include a Wait duration. This is to ensure that, if the video is long in duration or has been paused, that the viewer is able to reach the 50% milestone and can be removed from the list before an email is sent to them.
Note: The wait duration should be adjusted according to how long the video is and how likely your viewers are to pause. You may even want to email a few days after the view, which is also a possibility through this option.
8. If you then want to see who has been sent an email, the list of leads can be seen via the list that we used in this process via the People tab.