Note: the following article describes features and workflows related to the Legacy Vidyard Experience and may not apply to your account.
There's a lot that goes into an effective video. So how do you ensure that viewers are likely to even click play on your masterpiece?
Before your video is watched by anyone, it is displayed on a webpage as a thumbnail image. Using the thumbnail A/B split test feature in Vidyard, you can determine which of your available thumbnail images will generate the highest clickthrough rate.
Simply select multiple player thumbnails to begin a split test. Viewers will then be randomly presented with different thumbnail images. Vidyard will do the math to help you determine the best possible choice. It's that simple.
- Thumbnail split test works for both inline and lightbox players
- Split tests also affect on the thumbnails of videos included on your Video Hubs
- You must have the Thumbnail Split Test feature as part of your paid plan with Vidyard
- You must belong to a team with the Edit Players permission enabled
Choose which thumbnails to split test
To begin a split test, select more than one images from your player thumbnail settings. If you select only 1 thumbnail, the image will be used in all instances whenever the player is embedded or shared.
- From the Vidyard dashboard, select Content > Players
- Hover your cursor over a player and click Thumbnail
- Select 2 or 4 thumbnails to split test.
- Choose from a selection of pre-generated images taken from the first video in the player
- You can also upload custom thumbnails or create a new thumbnail from the videos included in your player
- Click Save Changes when finished.
Review your results and choose a winner
After the test has been initiated, return to the player Thumbnail settings to review the ongoing results.
Vidyard will indicate when a significant enough dataset has been collected in order to make a clear choice of thumbnail. However, you may continue the split test for as long as you choose.
- By default, split test results display data from the past 7 days (excluding the current day). Use the calendar tool filter the results for 30 or 90 days.
When you're satisfied with the results, click Select as Thumbnail to choose the winning thumbnail.