A transcription is a textual copy of the audio in your video. Owning a video transcription has many benefits, including:
- Improved SEO: Adding a transcript to your sitemap, or as metadata in your page, improves your search ranking and visibility to search engines.
- Accessibility: Owning a text copy of your video's content allows you improve accessibility by generating alternative formats, such as braille or large/high contrast text.
- Localization: A transcription gives you the option to translate the text of your video to other languages to increase your video's reach.
- Closed Captioning: If you use the Request feature to order a transcription of your video, closed captions will be automatically added to your video once the transcription is ready. Closed captions hover text over your video as it plays, helping deaf or hard-of-hearing users, as well as non-English speaking users, to access the audio content of your video.
Note: Using the Request Transcription service will incur an additional fee onto your account. If you need to access this feature, contact your Customer Success Manager.
Below is a list of supported transcription languages.
- EN - English
- ES - Spanish
- PT-BR - Brazilian Portuguese
- FR - French
- DE - German
- ZH-SI - Mandarin Simplified
- ZH-TR - Mandarin Traditional
- AR - Arabic
- NL - Dutch
- RU - Russian
- IT - Italian
Note: Vidyard only provides transcriptions for videos where English is the source language. This applies to both audio as well as on-screen text (except for end credits).
To access captions and transcriptions
From the Content menu click Videos.
Note: This will reveal your video library. All your uploaded videos are available here.
Hover over the video you want to edit and click Captions.
Request a transcription
You can request a transcription of your video using the Request Transcription feature. Using the Request Transcription service will incur an additional fee onto your account.
- Click New Caption, then Request Transcription.
- Using the dropdown menus, select a Target Language for your video (the Target Language is the desired language of your transcription).
Note: total transcription cost for single video = (rate) x (length of video rounded up to the nearest minute).
- Toggle the 'ON/OFF' switch to ON if you would like the transcription sent to a member of your team for approval. If you select ON, type the email address of the person you would like to be the Approver for this transcript.
Note: If you do not have the Approver option, contact your Account Manager.
- Optionally, add notes to the transcriber in the Notes field.
Example: "Do not translate these technical terms: ..." or "Please translate all text within the video, rather than the audio".
- Select a turnaround level, noting the delivery date and cost for each level.
Note: If you do not see an associated cost, don't worry - your organization may have set up direct billing with an alternative transcription provider.
- Click OK. The transcript will be ordered. The transcript will appear in the Captions list when it is ready.
Note: If an Approver was selected, the Approver will receive an email notification to approve the transcript. You can also download the SRT or VTT file for your transcribed video after it is ready.
Note: To Enable or Disable captions in the video player, visit the Advanced Options section of the player settings.
Extra: by default, transcriptions automatically include timestamps. If you require transcriptions that do not have timestamps, please speak with your Customer Success Manager to have this setting enabled.