Get noticed! Our embed codes can now inject schema.org compliant ("SEO-friendly") JSON-LD metatags into pages where you've embedded Vidyard players. This will allow search engine crawlers to index contextual information about the player.
- Enable SEO Metatags in the feature store
- This applies to all players in the folder for which it is enabled
What are SEO Metatags?
Search engines can't watch your video content when searching webpages for content to index, so the more information that you can provide to search engines about the content of your videos, the better your SEO.
By enabling the SEO Metatags feature, Vidyard will inject into the
<head> tag of the webpage where your player lives as much information about the video content as possible. This applies to all current and future inline/lightbox embed codes.
Understanding the page <head>
There are two main sections to the structure of any HTML webpage: your page <head>, and your page <body>. All of the content that is visible on your webpage lives in the <body>. Any public (but hidden) info about your page, such as your tracking cookies and page metadata, live in the <head>.
Information in the page <head> section does not display on your webpage, but anyone can see it by inspecting the source code of your page.
Because this information is public, search engines can crawl info in your page
<head>; for text with which to index your website. This allows you to add extra info into your website without cluttering the page or slowing its performance. By adding metadata about your video content here, search engines can use information about your videos to index your page for the content in your videos!
Set it up SEO Metatags
- Enable SEO Metatags in the Vidyard feature store
- From the Vidyard dashboard, select Admin > Features
- SEO Metatags is folder-wide setting. It will apply immediately to all players in the folder on which it was enabled.
- Note: Your embed codes will not change, therefore you do not need to re-embed any of the players in this folder. It will function for all previously embedded players and all new inline and lightbox players in your folder.
- Go into your players and add info that you want to be listed for SEO. (Learn what info is listed in the page metadata below.)
- On any page where you've embedded an SEO-enabled Vidyard player, you can inspect the metadata in the rendered source code of the page. Open the <head> section and look for the <script type="application/ld+json"> tag. Player metadata will be listed there.
What info is injected into the page head?
Check out the image below for an example of what the metadata in your page header will look like.
There is quite a bit of metadata injected into the header, but the data that will most affect SEO is the following:
- "id": the UUID for your Vidyard player.
- "description": Your player description, set in the player settings.
- "name": The name of your player, set in your player settings.
- "transcript": If you've added captions to the videos in your player, the transcript text for your videos will appear here (up to a limit of 4000 characters).
- "keywords": Any tags that you've added to the player will appear here as keywords.