Adding captions to videos improves the ability of different audiences to discover and consume your content.
- Increase accessibility (especially for viewers who are deaf or hearing impaired),
- Help ESL and non-English speakers better understand your content,
- Generally improve the viewer experience, allowing your audience to enjoy your video regardless of the environment in which they are watching.
Select a video from your library to get started. You can create or upload your own captions, request free computer-generated captions, or pay for captions from a human transcriber.
Select a video from your library
Select the title of a video from your library to open the edit page.
The edit page also opens whenever you finish recording a video with the Vidyard Chrome extension.
Add captions to a video
There are several options to add captions to your video. You can create or upload your own captions, request free computer-generated captions, or pay for captions from a human transcriber.
Request captions for your video
If you don't want to create or upload your own captions, you can request captions for your video from Vidyard. There are two different methods to request captions for a video: automated captions and paid captions.
|Supported caption languages|
|Automated (computer generated) captions||
Request computer-generated captions for videos with English-language audio, free of charge.
Automated captions are provided in English only.
We recommend you review automated captions before they are published to ensure that the spoken words and position of the cues are correct.
EN - English
Paid (human generated) captions
*You must belong to the Admin team to request paid services
Request captions in multiple languages from a human transcriber.
Captions are provided for videos with English-language audio only.
Cost for caption services = (rate for the language) x (length of video rounded up to the nearest minute)
- Open the New Caption dropdown menu, then select Request
- Select the caption language you want to request
- If you request a paid caption, select Notes to provide additional information to the transcriber
- Optionally, select Publish captions when complete
- Select Request
Create your own captions
Creating a caption allows you to manually write the text that displays at specific moments throughout the video.
Add cues to break up the caption text in a way that makes sense for the words being spoken in your video. Use the start and finish timestamps to determine the duration of each cue.
- Open the New Caption dropdown menu, then select Create
- Choose a language from the dropdown menu, then select Create
- Select + Add cue to enter caption text at specific start and end timestamps throughout the video (timestamps cannot overlap).
- Continue to select + Add cue to add further caption text
- Adjust the timestamps to specify the exact moment a cue should appear
- You can always select play on the video to review your changes in action
- Select Save when finished
Upload a caption file
You can upload either an
.vtt file to add captions to your video. Uploaded files should be UTF-8 encoded for an optimal experience (this is especially important for languages with special characters).
- Open the New Caption dropdown menu, then select Upload
- Choose a language from the dropdown menu, then select Upload
- Select the caption file from your computer
Publish and set default captions
When you are satisfied with the captions that you've added to your video, use the toggle next to the captions that you want to display to change status from draft to published.
Optionally, you can also set one of the captions on your video as the default. If your video is set to play with captions automatically, the default caption will display first unless another available caption matches the viewer's preference (learn more about the captions set to display automatically).
Open the dropdown menu next to a caption, then select Set Default.
Delete a caption
Should you no longer require a set of captions, open the dropdown menu next to the caption you want to delete, then select Delete.