Just like Vidyard's browser extension, you can use the Desktop App to record and share videos in a few simple steps.
The key benefits of Vidyard's Desktop App are:
- ✅ You can record in HD (up to 4K resolution)
- ✅ You can record with your camera bubble outside your browser (e.g. include your camera bubble over other desktop programs like PDFs and Powerpoint)
Once you've installed the desktop app (for Mac or Windows), check out our quick walkthrough video to get started.
Starting a new recording
To get started, open the Desktop app on your computer. Then, select the type of video you want to record:
- Screen: Records your computer's entire screen (or a specific application’s window)
- Camera: Records a video using your webcam (a "selfie-style" video)
- Screen + Camera: Records both your screen and camera at the same time
You will also see an Audio Test to indicate that your microphone is working and able to pick up sound. To change the microphone or camera that you use to record, use the dropdown menus to select another available input source.
Once you're satisfied with the recording options you've selected, click on Start Recording.
How to record your screen
If you choose to record either Screen or Screen + Cam, the Desktop App will prompt you to select a part of your screen to capture in the recording.
- Select the part of your screen that you want to record:
- Screen: to record an entire screen (you can select which screen if you have more than 1 monitor)
- Window (focus in on an application or browser window)
- Within each option, click on the specific screen or application that you want to record.
- Select Share to start the recording.
How to record your camera
Choose Camera to record a personal, selfie-style video with your computer's webcam. Once you select Start Recording, there will be a 5 second countdown before the recording begins.