Record your video perfectly the first time 🗒️
You can use Speaker Notes while recording with the browser extension to help you deliver your message in one easy take.
- Write down the key points you want to speak to
- Add helpful reminders or cues
- Use a template with Speaker Notes to guide you through recording
- Create a script for your recording with artificial intelligence (AI)
- You must have the Vidyard browser extension (for Chrome or Edge) installed to use Speaker Notes
Write your own Speaker Notes
Before you start recording, plan out your video by writing a script, talking points, or reminders in your Speaker Notes.
- Open the Vidyard browser extension
- Select a recording type (Camera, Screen, or Screen + Cam)
- Click on the Speaker Notes text box and start typing to add notes
- Select Start Recording when you're ready to record your video
When you choose to record with Camera mode, you'll find your Speaker Notes above the camera preview in the center of your screen.
When you choose to record your screen, your speaker notes appear in a separate browser window that you can resize and move around your screen or to a second monitor.
Use Speaker Notes from a template
Instead of writing your own Speaker Notes, apply a template from your library to add notes to your recording.
In your account, you'll find dozens of pre-made templates from Vidyard to help you record. In Vidyard Business plans (Essentials, Growth, Enterprise), you can create and share templates with your teammates.
- Select Explore Templates from your Speaker Notes in the browser extension
- Go to your Templates library in Vidyard to use a template
Generate Speaker Notes with AI
Need help knowing what to say in your video? You can use Vidyard's AI Script Generator (powered by OpenAI) to automatically write a script or sales message.
- Open the Vidyard browser extension, then toggle the AI Script Generator ON in your Speaker Notes
- Write a descriptive prompt in the AI text box ✨
- You can also select from a list of popular prompts
- Select Generate — the AI will provide a response that you can use to record or as a first draft to plan your video
How to write a great prompt for AI
If Vidyard's pre-made prompts don't fit your needs, you can write your own prompts for the AI to create a script. Make sure to follow these best practices to get the best results:
- Have a clear goal in mind. What do you want the AI to generate for you?
- Make your prompt specific and focused. This helps the AI produce a more accurate output.
- Add context. Give the AI background info and requirements like script length and tone of voice.
- Keep it simple. Avoid complex language or jargon.
- Experiment with your prompt. Add or remove details to help the AI generate the best response.
When you get a response from the AI, review your speaker notes and edit the generated text before you start recording.
Auto scroll and font size
When you choose to record with Camera mode, you can use Auto Scroll to read your notes like a teleprompter.
Before you start recording, we recommend that you experiment with font size and scroll speed to find a comfortable pace. You can also change these settings while recording, if needed.
Start Auto Scroll — make your notes automatically scroll from top to bottom.
- If you want your notes to start scrolling every time you record, update your recording preferences to enable Auto scroll when recording starts
- Select Pause Auto Scroll to stop scrolling
- When you Pause and Resume your recording, your notes automatically pause and resume
Speed — use the + or - buttons to change how quickly your notes scroll (1x, 1.5x, 2x, and so on).
- You can also use number keys on your keyboard (1-9) to control speed
- Size — use the + or - buttons to change the font size (14-80)
Using Speaker Notes while recording your screen
When you record with your Screen or Screen + Cam, your speaker notes open in a separate browser window.
With the Speaker Notes browser window, you can resize and move your notes around the screen, or to a separate monitor. This allows you to record and read your notes during the recording without capturing the Speaker Notes window in the final video for your viewers to see.
To ensure your notes do not appear in your finished video, we recommend a few best practices based on your desktop setup and number of monitors.
- If you are using 1 computer screen: resize and position your speaker notes next to the browser window you want to share in your video. This way you can easily read your notes while recording.
- If you are using 2 or more screens: move your speaker notes browser window to a different screen. This way you can keep your main screen clear and free of distractions.
- Be careful about what part of your screen or browser you want to share. Make sure that you do not select your speaker notes window when choosing what to record.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Vidyard apps support the Speaker Notes feature?
You can use Speaker Notes with the following recording apps:
- the Vidyard browser extension
- Vidyard for Gmail or Outlook (only when recording your screen & using Chrome or Edge with the browser extension installed)
- the desktop app
- the mobile app
Are my notes automatically saved?
Any text that you add to the Speaker Notes box is automatically saved.
Your Speaker Notes are only erased if you sign out of the browser extension, your current authenticated session expires, or you overwrite your notes by selecting a template.
Is there a character limit for Speaker Notes?
There is no set character limit, so you can write as lengthy a note as you'd like! An entire novel may not be practical though 🤓
Does the Speaker Notes text box accept special characters?
Yes, you can add any special characters to the Speaker Notes text box — including emojis 🎉
Will Speaker Notes be visible to viewers?
- When you record in Camera mode, your speaker notes are only visible to you and do not appear in the finished video.
- When you record your Screen or Screen + Cam, your speaker notes open in a separate browser window. To avoid capturing your speaker notes in the finished video, you can resize and move the window around your screen, or to a different monitor. Be careful what part of your screen or browser you share when starting the screen recording. 👀
Learn more about using Speaker Notes while recording your screen.
How do I enable the AI Script Generator?
Before you can use the AI Script Generator to create speaker notes, you must first agree to Vidyard's Product Specific Terms & Conditions.
- For anyone with a Free or Pro plan: sign in to the Vidyard browser extension. Open your Speaker Notes, then select Try AI Script Generator to agree to the terms.
- For anyone who belongs to a Business plan (Essentials, Growth, Enterprise): a member of the Admin team must accept the Product Specific Terms in order to enable AI Script Generator on behalf of all users in the account
- Administrators should search their email inbox for a message from Vidyard with the title "Supercharge your team's creativity with AI generated scripts" to enable AI for their team.