You can record a video with the Vidyard Chrome extension in a few simple steps.
Once you've added the extension to your Chrome browser, use the recording options to select the type of video you want to create, then start to record.
Here's a quick video walkthrough to get you started:
Start a new recording
Click on the Vidyard icon to open the extension (top, right-hand corner of your browser)
Choose the type of video that you want to record:
- Screen: Records your computer's screen
- Camera: Records using your computer's camera (a "selfie-style" video)
- Screen + Camera: Records both your screen and your camera at the same time
For both Screen and Screen + Camera, you also have the option to decided whether you want to record your Full Desktop or Tab Only.
- Full Desktop allows you to record your entire screen (everything in and outside of your browser window).
- Tab Only will capture only the browser tab where you begin the recording.
You will also see an Audio Test to indicate that your microphone is working and able to pick up sound.
If you want to change the microphone or camera that you use to record, open the Recording Input Options menu to select a different source.
Once you're satisfied with the recording options you've selected, click on Start Recording to begin.
Using Speaker Notes
Clearly deliver your message in one take. When recording in Camera mode, use the Speaker Notes box at the top of the screen to write down helpful reminders and talking points.
Anything that you write in the text box is only visible to you and is not capture in the recording.
Draw on your screen
When recording with Screen or Screen + Cam mode, use the drawing tool to highlight important information. This is especially use if you're sharing a presentation and want to bring attention to a specific part of a slide or webpage.
You can draw anywhere within the browser window from where you began the recording.
Make sure the recording controls are enabled in your extension's preferences so you can access the drawing tool.
- Select the pen icon from the recording controls
- Select a color and pen size
- Click and drag your cursor inside the browser window to draw
Change your recording preferences
Recording preferences allows you to customize how you use the Chrome extension to record and share videos.
Click on the settings tab in the extension (the gear icon) to open your recording preferences. Here you can select or unselect from the following:
- Display notifications: controls whether you receive a Chrome browser notifications whenever someone watches a video
- Show recording controls: display controls during screen recordings (play & pause button, stop, restart recording, and drawing tools).
- Copy link to clipboard: automatically copies the link to your video after the recording as finished